Monday, January 5, 2015

Meals in a Jar:Breakfast style

It may be common practice for most teachers, but during the day I never get time to do fancy things like eat or go to the bathroom. We run on a 8 period bell schedule with lunches running from 4th-7th period. As a teacher, depending on your schedule, you could be eating lunch anytime between 10:30 a.m. and 12:45 p.m.
For the past three years I have had 7th period lunch, which normally wouldn't be a issue, but I eat breakfast at 6:30 a.m. on the way to work. I go without food for over 6 hours which means that around the end of 4th period I am about ready to rip a kid's head off because I am so hungry.

To combat this issue and keep my job, I have to eat a mega-breakfast. I am talking epic, hard, hold me down for hours like I was running a marathon kind of breakfast. It also cannot have too much liquid in it because I don't get a potty break for about 4 hours (awesome!).

These meals in a jar have been all over pintrest so I decided to give them a go and report back.

Breakfast: Overnight Oatmeal 

1/4 quick oats
2 tsp of chia seeds <-- don't skip these
1/3 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
1/4 cup milk
Splash of vanilla extract
some almonds
Bunches of chopped up fruit

Full time: 5 hours (success !)
I am in love with the overnight oatmeal. I made 3 at a time which took me about 10 minutes and saved them in the fridge for the mornings. I was pretty content until the end of 6th period and did not rip a child's head off so that means a win for me (and my students).

If anyone else has ideas for mega-breakfast, please share in comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment